Throwing back real quick to Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, when I made this roasted chicken with apples, white wine, and a variety of veggies for a group of friends. It feeds about six to eight people but there will definitely be leftovers.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
What you’ll need:
4-5lb Whole Chicken
1/2 a White Onion
1 Long Carrot
2 Red Apples
1 cup of Chicken Stock
1 1/2 cup White Wine
Salt and Pepper
How you do it:
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If your chicken is frozen, defrost or soak in cold water. Cut the string tying the chicken and scoop the guts out – yes there will be guts in a whole chicken. TRUST ME: I was shocked slightly.
2. On a cutting board chop up thickly the onion, carrot, and potatoes. Core the apples and cut the apples into four quarters each. Stuff the chicken with some of the onions, carrots, two apple pieces, and potato pieces. Spread the rest of the veggies in the roasting plan.
3. Next prepare the chicken by rubbing cinnamon over the chicken. Don’t go overboard but do cover the chicken. Place the chicken in the roasting pan. Pour in the chicken stock into the dish over the chicken. Salt and pepper the whole dish. Place the apples around the chicken and then sprinkle the dish with more cinnamon.
4. Place the chicken in oven and let it bake for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes take out of the oven, take the chicken out of the oven add the wine. Place the chicken back into the oven and leave it there for 40 more minutes.
5. Cut into your chicken to make sure it’s fully cooked and enjoy!